Say Your Name: Write about your first name: Are you named after someone or something? Are there any stories or associations attached to it? If you had the choice, would you rename yourself?
Oh my god. This prompt was made for me.
Anyone out there that has an uncommon name will be able to relate to the following things:
- You’ll have to introduce yourself five times when you meet someone new.
- ”Sorry, what was your name again?”
- *Subsitute teacher reading up names* ”Lisa.. Emily.. Da..linda?” Hm, close enough.
- You’re able to use your actual name as a username everywhere. For me that includes my blog too.
- Just letting people pronounce it wrong because you’re tired of correcting people. Including the barista’s at Starbucks. (I’ve had ‘Nancy’ on my cup so many times.)
Okay, that might sound a little negative. But I actually love my name. It’s interesting, unique and always sparks some kind of conversation, which I like.
Supposedly my mom overheard a longer, more complicated version of my name when she was at a theme park (of all places) and that’s where she got my name. It’s a better story than my sister’s, she got hers from a porn movie.
Photo taken by NASA (via Unsplash.com)